Date:      Mon, 5 Mar 2001 08:47:19 +0100 (CET)
From:      Konrad Heuer <kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de>
To:        Benjamin Flom <benf@nexgen.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: BSD Strains

On Sun, 4 Mar 2001, Benjamin Flom wrote:

> I am involved in planning the beginnings of an ISP. We plan to do
> web/ftp/streaming media/transactions/remote storage/etc....
>
> I am trying to understand the differences between FreeBSD, NetBSD, BSD
> Lite, OpenBSD, etc. Any info that can be provided would be helpful.

FreeBSD, NetBSD and OpenBSD are based on 4.4BSD Lite.

Concerning questions of performance, FreeBSD is known as the most advanced
of those three OS. FreeBSD runs on Intel and Alpha hardware.

NetBSD is available for a lot of different hardware platforms; much more
than Linux runs on.

OpenBSD is known as the most secure open source OS. It's also available
for a lot of platforms, including Intel.

Regards

Konrad Heuer                                    Personal Bookmarks:
Gesellschaft f=FCr wissenschaftliche
   Datenverarbeitung mbH G=D6ttingen              http://www.freebsd.org
Am Fa=DFberg, D-37077 G=D6ttingen                   http://www.daemonnews.o=
rg