Date:      Wed, 5 Apr 2006 04:43:03 -0400
From:      Anish Mistry <mistry.7@osu.edu>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Preliminary HPLIP port (HP Printers)

--nextPart8242407.pZmWzgYHEf

On Tuesday 04 April 2006 18:55, Anish Mistry wrote:
> I've got a preliminary version of hplip ported. You can download
> the port skeleton:
> http://am-productions.biz/docs/hplip.tgz
>
> MD5 (hplip.tgz) =3D ff1d670605cfcd4f519e9239fd08db3d
> SHA256 (hplip.tgz) =3D
> 61c29b302d58feeba496173e95e258bd66c811fae2a15530103df3469a899080
>
> I've updated the port skeleton to include the dependency to py-qt
> so that hp-toolbox works.  Note, the posted skeleton does not work
> with my Officejet, but it DOES work reading and writing with my
> Deskjet 5550.  That means hp-toolbox shows ink levels, status
> messages, the works.  If you have a Deskjet this should unlock all
> the
> functionality that HP has provided with the hplip software.
>
> I'm working on getting some feedback from the hplip folks about
> why, GetInEP is returning a bogus endpoint in the Device::Read
> method.  This seems Officejet specific and I'm still waiting on a
> reply from the HP engineers on the HPLIP list.
>
> The side-effect of this is not being able to read from Officejet
> devices means that scanning, and status information is not
> provided. Device::Write works, so I'm able to at least print to my
> Officejet 5510v.  The key right now for hplip, you have to run the
> printer as a ugen device not ulpt.
>
> If you'd like to try to get it setup, you need to:
> 1) make sure your printer is attaching as a ugen device.
> 2) install the port using the linked skeleton above
> 3) Add the following to you rc.conf:
> hpiod_enable=3D"YES"
> hpssd_enable=3D"YES"
> Note:  right now those daemons run as root, I'm going to change
> that once everything is working, but for right now that was
> easiest.
> 4) Stop cups=20
> 5) You MUST start the services in the following order
> /usr/local/etc/rc.d/hpiod start && /usr/local/etc/rc.d/hpssd start
> && /usr/local/etc/rc.d/cupsd start
> 5) Run hp-setup and follow the prompts.
> 6) You should have been able to print out the test page in step 5.
> If not, send the relevant parts of your syslog output.
> 7) Run hp-toolbox for all of that fun printer information
I've uploaded an improved version of the port that works with my=20
Officejet 5510v.  You can now pull status information.  Scanning and=20
faxing work too!  I didn't have a destination fax number to send=20
something to, but the machine did initialize, dial, and timeout=20
correctly.  The scan correctly grabbed the image :).

http://am-productions.biz/docs/hplip-try2.tgz

MD5 (hplip-try2.tgz) =3D 6eed0dc30e062d9f78c584e13fca16a0
SHA256 (hplip-try2.tgz) =3D=20
a96c772232caea7c22ae55d5d06bb521c306101d1906d8d14e8a7e3b2002844a

To get scanning to work you need to do the following since the library=20
symlinking isn't fixed yet.

rm /usr/local/lib/sane/libsane-hpaio.so.1
ln=20
=2Ds /usr/local/lib/sane/libsane-hpaio.so.1 /usr/local/lib/libsane-hpaio.so=
=2E1

hp-toolbox is your friend.

=2D-=20
Anish Mistry