Date:      Sun, 22 Aug 1999 03:03:22 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami)
Cc:        Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>, doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Default FDP docs installation directory?

Erm, I really don't like to see this kind of thing...  People who both
do good work ripping into one another leaves the audience rather
unsure of how to react, and those being ripped into don't much enjoy
the experience either.  I think this has all come about through
misunderstanding rather than malice and if people are getting "angry"
then they already need to go take walks before coming back and
attempting to communicate in public.  We are all experienced enough to
know the poor results generated by angry posts.

Nik has just put in a large amount of work here and I would like to
just return our attention to that fact for a moment while those who
don't like his methods attempt to make it sound as if there was
nothing good about the conversion or reorganization work.  There was a
lot of necessary work done here, from both a tools and a content
standpoint, and if the look-and-feel isn't spot-on the first iteration
or two, well, that's easily evolved.  I'm also sure that Nik has no
intention of leaving tools for formating the various translations
broken, considering how much work he's put into packaging the
translations in a more flexible fashion lately.

I think this is simply yet another communications break-down, perhaps
on both sides, and there's no reason to accuse Nik of lying or
otherwise being anything but *confused* about how much communication
had or had not occurred.  Just knowing how much dust has had to be
blown out of the Handbook and FAQ documents lately (and still remains
to be blown out), I'd say anybody with enough guts to really start
reorganizing our completely dysfunctional docset deserves kudos, not
rocks.

- Jordan