Date:      Tue, 28 Oct 2003 14:57:20 -0800 (PST)
From:      Alan Larson <larson@w6yx.stanford.edu>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   gnu/58656: gdb not ready for prime time

>Number:         58656
>Category:       gnu
>Synopsis:       gdb not ready for prime time
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD w6yx.stanford.edu 4.9-RC FreeBSD 4.9-RC #11: Tue Oct 7 19:17:29 PDT 2003 techie@w6yx.stanford.edu:/home2/usr.obj/home2/usr.src/sys/W6YX i386

Using gdb gets errors like:

GNU gdb 4.18 (FreeBSD)
This GDB was configured as "i386-unknown-freebsd"...Deprecated bfd_read called at /home2/usr.src/gnu/usr.bin/binutils/gdb/../../../../contrib/gdb/gdb/dbxread.c line 2627 in elfstab_build_psymtabs
Deprecated bfd_read called at /home2/usr.src/gnu/usr.bin/binutils/gdb/../../../../contrib/gdb/gdb/dbxread.c line 933 in fill_symbuf

>How-To-Repeat:
Use gdb on a program that you have compiled with -g .

>Fix:
It appears that this is a note to the gdb maintainers that one part of
gdb is using another part that may someday go away.

The users don't care.  It just makes us think that the software is not
ready for use.  If we had wanted that, there is a well-known company
that can provide software of that form.

All one needs to do is remove the warning message from gdb.

It would be extra-special-nice if this could be done *before* 4.9 is released.