Date:      Sat, 12 Feb 2005 11:41:01 -0800
From:      darren kirby <bulliver@badcomputer.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Freebsd vs. linux

--nextPart8550036.iIlLhtNjQi

quoth the David Kelly:

> Look closely at the Linux community and you'll find its mostly
> ex-Windows users focused on what Microsoft is doing. The desire is to
> one-up Microsoft at Microsoft's own game. Their definition of
> "computer" and "human interface" was written by Microsoft and still
> can't think outside of that box.

I think your interpretation here is a tad glib. Sure there are thousands of=
=20
people coming to Linux because they 'hate' MS. Sure they don't know gcc fro=
m=20
ppc but I don't think it is fair to call them the 'community', rather a sma=
ll=20
subset. Do you think these people are writing any software? Are they=20
designing programming interfaces? Do they have a damn thing to do with the=
=20
development of Linux or any of its supporting software? Hell no. They are=20
just users clogging up the message boards and mailing lists with stupid=20
questions. "Human Interface"? Am I missing something? Can you please tell m=
e=20
where the much superior FreeBSD human interface can be downloaded? In the=20
console they are pretty much the same keystroke for keystroke, and on the=20
desktop it is all the same software...

I run FreeBSD and Linux, and I love them both. I am trying to point out tha=
t=20
when you slam Linux developers with pettiness and name calling that you are=
=20
no better than all the lusers slamming MS, and thinking they're leet becaus=
e=20
they installed Fedora? I have noticed a lot of this on FreeBSD lists, and I=
=20
think it is counterproductive because it is unprofessional and in the end=20
more people using Linux means more people running free software which=20
benefits _all_ of us...and besides, it is offensive to people like me that=
=20
just like playing with 'nix boxes and run both.

Why can't you just run your FreeBSD and feel superior, silently?

> Look closely at the BSD community and you'll find those who are working
> at creating a better tool to serve their needs. Much debate about
> exactly what constitutes "better" so there is also quite a bit of
> experimenting. What you won't find is Microsoft as the yardstick by
> which BSD's measure.
>
> --
> David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@HiWAAY.net
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D