Date:      Tue, 22 Apr 1997 14:46:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Adam L. Simpson" <adam@netsonic.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.1.7 vs 2.2.1

On Tue, 22 Apr 1997, Adam L. Simpson wrote:

> Hi, I am installing FBSD on a coupel of machines... after a great deal of
> frustration, we finally got 2.1.7 installed on one machine.  I also have
> 2.2.1 and was wondering if this version is as stable or more stable than
> 2.1.7 and if 2.2.1 is safe to go with for a high traffice web server?  In
> other words we are not in beta mode with that package are we?

If you are looking for stability, definitely go with 2.1.7.  There are
still some kinks in 2.2.1, especially regarding Adaptec PCI controllers
and ldconfig/ldd.  If it works, don't break it :)

> My second question is what is the optimum disk partioning scheme for a 4gb
> Hd.  Should /usr be my largest directory without question?  What is the
> recommended allotment for /usr and /var?

It can be whatever you like or what fits your needs.  I generally keep /
and /var about 50mb (on 1gb disks) and make /usr take what's left.  You
can always move it to a larger partition and symlink it if you need more
space.