Date:      Tue, 14 Mar 2000 01:08:06 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@neomedia.it>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   firewall questions

Dear FreeBSDers,

I was wondering whether there was some difference between:

1A) add 1000 deny log tcp from any to localhost in tcpflags fin,syn
1B) Kernel "options TCP_DROP_SYNFIN"

2A) add 2000 deny tcp from localhost to any out tcpflags rst
2B) Kernel "options TCP_RESTRICT_RST"

3A) add 3000 deny icmp from localhost to any out
3B) Kernel "options ICMP_BANDLIM"

In and out are probably redundant here.
AFAICS, 3A) denies ALL icmp traffic from localhost, whereas 3B) only
limits that type of traffic.

However, the difference betwwen 1A) and 1B), as well as between 2A)
and 2B), seem harder to tell. In particular I wonder whether there is
some *efficiency* difference between them. Am I (yawn) missing
anything obvious ?

I built a firewall for my home box. I was not paranoid: inter alia, I
was port scanned a few times. Although I had disabled all unnecessary
things, I felt it necessary to deny ip *fragments* etc. Yahoo docet
:-)

I seem to understand that the most comprehensive, powerful and
(perhaps) efficient defence instrument (as a packet filter tool) is
ipfw(8). Is this correct, too ?

Thanks in advance and best regards from
(yawning yet again) Salvo