Date:      22 Apr 1998 15:56:57 +0200
From:      dag-erli@ifi.uio.no (Dag-Erling Coidan =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?= )
To:        Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Disappearing keyboard

Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp> writes:
> >The Right Way (tm) to start X or xdm is to put a shell script in
> >/usr/local/etc/rc.d which Does the Deed. It will work, no questions
> >asked. I have something similar to this:
> I picked up /etc/rc.local simply because it was what the original
> poster was using.  I don't care which rc script you would prefer to
> use for this purpose.

I dislike modifying any of /etc/rc*, though in the case of rc.local
it's unjustified :) But it's very neat to be able to do 'cp
/usr/src/etc/rc* /usr/src/etc/etc.i386/rc* /etc' without worrying too
much during a make world.

> We are talking about possible conflict between getty and xdm.

I know.

> We usually turn on getty on some vtys, say ttyv0 through ttyv2.  When
> xdm is started from /etc/rc.local (or /usr/local/etc/rc.d/something),
> getty has not yet been started. Therefore, ttyv1 through ttyv2 are not
> in use and is available.

I have never experienced this. It is possible that my machine is
simply fast enough that getty gets started before xdm starts the X
server. I did not realise there was a race condition there. This is
solved easily by adding a short delay before starting xdm, as you
suggested. I apologize for the confusion.

--
Noone else has a .sig like this one.