Date:      14 Oct 2002 20:02:11 +0100
From:      Stacey Roberts <stacey@Demon.vickiandstacey.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Caching namesever in sandbox not resolving local boxes

--=-lQrJ7j/BcrlGL1DnF8yB

Hi,
  I thought I had this one licked, but I may have ommited some step that
I'd like to get some info on, please.

I've got named configured as a caching nameserver in a sandbox on my
gateway as per the Handbook. However when I run nslookup on other
machines on my network, I get this:
# nslookup <lan box>
Server:  <upstream NS>
Address:  upstream NS IP>

*** <upstream NS> can't find <lan box>: Non-existent host/domain
#=20

I have the lan box in /etc/hosts and my domain included at the top of
/etc/resolv.conf.=20

I'm thinking that I can't resolve any other hosts on my network because
I've not got entries for them in a zone file, but then the handbook says
that to create a caching nameserver:

"A caching name server is a name server that is not authoritative for
any zones. It simply asks queries of its own, and remembers them for
later use. To set one up, just configure the name server as usual,
omitting any inclusions  of zones."

So, am I missing something here. I might well be mistaken in my
understanding of exactly *what* a caching nameserver is supposed to do.

Running nslookup on the g'way itself by name resolves to my external IP
address, for the record, though.

I'm willing to post my named.conf file and any others that might prove
helpful to anyone willing to help. Not sure what will be of use at this
point, so do let me know, please.

TIA

Stacey

--=20