Date:      Fri, 27 Sep 2002 19:23:53 +0200
From:      Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@bellavista.cz>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@chuckr.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: two make questions

# chuckr@chuckr.org / 2002-09-23 13:08:04 -0400:
> The odd behavior of variables is only one item from a whole list of them.
> Go take a look at what use: means, if you want a headache.

    you mean .USE? looks quite powerful... a can of worms if misused. :)

> Or, how about the behavior of "include", which *does* work, even
> though the man page says that only ".include" will work ("include" is
> compatible with both BSD make and GNU make, an important point.)

    yup. or the fact that /usr/share/doc/psd/12.make/paper.ascii.gz
    documents conditionals in the form #keyword instead of .keyword
    (that might work, i haven't tried, but shouldn't the tutorial be
    updated? even if the # forms work they surely look deprecated from
    the fact that i haven't seen a single use in the system makefiles)

    hm, i don't think i made myself clear with the previous para. how
    about this: is the pmake tutorial mentioned above carved in stone or
    are updates allowed? if it's immutable, is derivative work
    permitted? i'm thinking about basically rewriting the tutorial in
    docbook (i have /usr/ports/docproj installed), fixing at least the
    issues *i* have with the material.

    what do you think?

> When you don't have any problem with a file like bsd.port.mk, then you'll
> be able to claim to know make.

    BTW, this reminds me: I think there is a bug in
    /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk. I'll send a separate message.

--
begin 666 nonexistent.vbs
FreeBSD 4.7-RC