Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 2000 13:00:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=E9rard_Roudier?= <groudier@club-internet.fr>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/22862: ncr driver problem with 4.2-BETA

The following reply was made to PR kern/22862; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=E9rard_Roudier?= <groudier@club-internet.fr>
To: muir@idiom.com
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 20:50:49 +0100 (CET)

 The CACHE TEST in `ncr' tries to detect a possible misconfiguration as
 cacheable of the chip's MMIO window. It may also display a failure
 message, if the MMIO address is just wrong, for example. When it fails
 (that is, when it succeeds detecting a problem :-) ), then MMIO does not
 work at all for the chip, and not attaching the device is the only
 reasonnable behaviour. The `sym' driver uses the exact same test,
 inherited from `ncr', and in my opinion, will likely succeeds such a
 failure detection :) in the same situation with exactly the same message.

 My first idea is that, either the driver is hitting a wrong MMIO window
 for some reason, or the MMIO window has been set cacheable for some other
 reason :). In the latter case, it could be some driver or some other part
 that changed a MTRR, for example, or that made cacheable the page entry
 that maps the chip's MMIO window.

   G=E9rard.

 On Wed, 15 Nov 2000 muir@idiom.com wrote:

 >=20
 > >Number:         22862
 > >Category:       kern
 > >Synopsis:       ncr probe fails with CACHE TEST FAILED: ? write ? read
 > >Confidential:   no
 > >Severity:       serious
 > >Environment:
 >=20
 > =09FreeBSD 4.0-STABLE boot messages:
 >=20
 > =09ncr0: <ncr 53c825 fast10 wide scsi> port 0x7400-0x74ff mem 0xe4102000-=
 0xe41020ff irq 12 at device 10.0 on pci0