Date:      Wed, 20 Nov 1996 13:49:10 -0600
From:      Raul Zighelboim <mango@staff.communique.net>
To:        "'questions@freefall.freebsd.org'" <questions@freefall.freebsd.org>
Subject:   Optimizing Kernel for INND ?? What could I be missing?

Hello!

I am setting this FreeBSD box (2.1.5) as a dedicated news server.
I expect it to have some ~100 nnrpd sessions and to exchange feeds with
6 sites,
most probably all of them streaming news via innfeed (ie, another 48
processes).

I need sugestions to build the optimal kernel for this, as I seem to
have some per-
formance issues at this time. System is not heavely loaded at this time,
iostat, netstat,
etc do not report heavy use.  Nevertheless, the system seems to be slow.

This is a PPRO 200 with 256Megs of RAM, 2-9GIGF&W scsi drives for news
spool
1 2Gig IDE drive for system files and the overview database.

Thanks :-)
Raul Zighelboim
mailto:mango@communique.net
Communique Inc.