Date:      Wed, 09 Jun 1999 13:30:57 EDT
From:      Russell T Hunt <alaric@MIT.EDU>
To:        jobs@freebsd.org
Cc:        alaric@exoinc.com
Subject:   Startup looking for developers for a RADICAL NEW OS

Note: This OS is not BSD, but one of its interfaces implements the *BSD
syscall interface, uses BSD derived device drivers, and runs BSD utils.

*BSD or Linux kernel hacking experience wanted - filesystem, network,
SMP, scheduling, drivers, etc.

Exotec, Inc. (www.exoinc.com), an MIT Lab for Computer Science (LCS)
spinoff, is looking for several more full-time operating system
developers.  We're commercializing the research quality version of the
exokernel OS written by the Parallel and Distributed Operating Systems
(PDOS) group at LCS.  Be part of a fast-growing startup - we offer
equity and competitive pay.  We need people to write user-level
filesystems, network stacks, SMP abstractions, etc.  NOT JUST REWRITING
UNIX FOR THE UMPTEENTH TIME - totally different from standard monolithic
and microkernel designs.  This stuff is really challenging and fun to
design and implement.

The exokernel architecture involves a relatively thin kernel which
securely multiplexes the hardware (it has mechanism but very little
policy).  Exokernels implement traditional OS abstractions in user-level
libraries - called library operating systems.  The trick is that a
demanding application can modify/rewrite whichever parts of a libOS fall
on its fast path.  An application which will be doing many short-lived
http requests can optimize its TCP stack for that purpose, while a
database application with certain file access patterns can optimize for
its particular case.  Regular programs and optimized ones can run
simultaneously because the kernel securely multiplexes the resources.
For more on the theory of exokernels check out the research papers and
web site at http://pdos.lcs.mit.edu/exo/.  The exokernel architecture
should not be confused with the microkernel architecture.

All of the exokernel standard utilities and libraries come from OpenBSD
and the library operating system implements the OpenBSD system call
interface (not fully of course, but well enough to run Apache, perl,
gcc, etc. and also binary emulate programs as complicated as
RealNetworks' RealServer).  We also have a variety of programs (like
http, nfs servers and web testing clients) which use our lower level
interfaces to maximize performance.

A lot of interesting OS work remains to be done, including work in the
kernel and in the user-level library OS (designing/implementing missing
parts of the tradition UNIX interface and also the lower-level
high-speed extensible interfaces).

Contact:
Carl Zuckerman,
Director of Engineering