Date:      Sun, 24 Feb 2002 16:38:34 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, grg@ridley.unimelb.edu.au
Subject:   Re: Problem with dump and NFS

>Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 11:27:44 +1100 (EST)
>From: Glen Gibb <grg@ridley.unimelb.edu.au>

>I'm having problems backing up a file system mounted over NFS using dump.

Ummm... to the best of my knowledge and belief, "problems" would be
expected; indeed, I wouldn't expect it to work at all.

Essentially, dump is tied (as I understand it) pretty much to the way
UFS filesystems are constructed, and it accesses the raw filesystem.

NFS does not present anything sufficiently close enough to a raw UFS
filesystem for dump to work -- and since the underlying filesystem for
an NFS-mounted filesystem need not be UFS at all, that should be
expected.

You have a couple of choices for doing a backup of a filesystem that
physically resides on another system:

* Go ahead and use dump, but run it on the system where the filesystem
  is local.  Note that it is dump's standard output that is the backup
  image, so that is something that you can redirect as appropriate.

* Use something that does not depend on UFS constructs, such as tar, pax,
  or cpio.  This could be run on either the system where the filesystem
  is local, or on the NFS client.

There may also be various proprietary backup programs that do the job to
a greater or lesser extent, but it's been years since I dealt with
those.  Where I last worked, I set up Amanda (using "dump"); at home, I
just use a home-grown Perl script (that also uses dump).

Cheers,
david       (links to my resume at http://www.catwhisker.org/~david)
I believe it would be irresponsible (and thus, unethical) for me to advise,
recommend, or support the use of any product that is or depends on any
Microsoft product for any purpose other than personal amusement.