Date:      Sun, 09 Feb 1997 09:59:30 -0800
From:      Burton Sampley <bsampley@best.com>
To:        voy <razz@reach.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: modem

voy wrote:

> I am having a problem with my modem and the pppd.
>  It will initialize fine and i can use the net fine
> but i can't shut it down ..  i try to run pppd again and it
> just says  pppd[314]: Connect script failed
> i half toot my machine to log off the internet.
> Does anyone know of a quick fix for this ?
> thankx
> voy
> ----------------------------------
> E-Mail: voy <razz@reach.net>
> Date: 09-Feb-97
> Time: 12:21:48
>
> This message was sent by XFMail
> ----------------------------------

Here's a SH script I found somewhere (I can't remember where I found
it):

bash$ cat /etc/ppp/ppp-off
#!/bin/sh

pid=`ps ax |grep pppd |grep -v grep|awk '{print $1;}'`
if [ X${pid} != "X" ]; then
        echo 'killing pppd, PID=' ${pid}
        kill -9 ${pid}
fi

ifconfig ppp0 down
ifconfig ppp0 delete

exit 0
bash$

Just SU to root and run this script.  It will shutdown pppd.

Hope this helps.

--
Burton Sampley
Email: bsampley@best.com | home page: http://www.best.com/~bsampley