Date:      Fri, 31 Jul 1998 20:23:30 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@whistle.com>
To:        alphen@craxx.com
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: perl-5.00404

alphen@craxx.com writes:
| Hi Marc,
|
| Perl does not stand for Pattern Extraction and Recognition Language
| but for Practical Extraction and Reporting Language (this
| is according to the book "Programming Perl" by O'Reilly).
|
| On the other hand, is a port for 5.005_01 available yet?
| Currently I'm working on one and will let you know if I
| succeed,

I'm interested in seeing any success with the threaded version.  I've been
playing with it and have a problem.  For some reason building the
thread version breaks the perl primitive of command in-lining (ie the
back-tic).  I traced it to the point of when exec is called,
stdio doesn't get sent back through the pipe.  I hacked a quick test case
to write to stdout and then exit instead of calling exec.  This worked.
I wrote a small program to test this feature with threads and it worked
fine.  So I figure perl is setting something that is causing this to break.
Unfortunately I haven't figured out any more details on this problem.

Doug A.