Date:      Mon, 08 Feb 1999 09:52:05 -0600
From:      Eric Patterson <eric@rdbewss.redstone.army.mil>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions (E-mail)" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   umountall request from unprivileged port?

All,

I sent this question back in December, but I never got a response.  Well, I'll add a few details and clarifications.  Maybe someone is monitoring the list now who wasn't then. ;)

I have a FreeBSD machine that is a NFS server for several IRIX and Linux boxes.  I have recently upgraded from 2.2.7 to 3.0-RELEASE and applied patches to enable NFS locking. Since then, I keep seeing the following syslog message:

<date time hostname> mountd[111]: umountall request from <IP> from unprivileged port

The IP is the IP of the local machine, the FreeBSD 3.0-RELEASE NFS server.  Any ideas what could be causing this and what I can do to fix it?

Maybe the following details can help some, too.   The IRIX boxes are running IRIX's automount.  The Linux boxes are running am-utils-6.0b1.  The message seems to appear when one of the IRIX clients reboots.  I don't know if there are other circumstances that cause this message or not.

Thanks,
Eric Patterson