Date:      Tue, 06 Jul 1999 12:18:50 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: need a clock for NTP

Andreas Klemm wrote:

> Hi !
>
> I want to configure my FreeBSD server as NTP server in my
> local LAN. I heard of cheapo clocks that I can connect to
> a serial port.
>
> Where is such a beast available, what stratum does it have,
> what does it cost ?

GPS reference clocks are cheap these days.  IIRC, the GPS clock is considered
stratum 1, and your sever stratum 2.  See for example http://www.truetime.com

Inexpensive hand-held GPS receivers can be use for this, too, but are less
accurate due to serial communications and you may have problems with signal
strength unless you use a remote antenna.  They do have the added advantage
of being able to clip them onto your dash board, handlebar, or cabin roof
for those times when you don't care if your network is getting the absolute
correct time or not.  ;^)

http://softweyr.com/                                           wes@softweyr.com