Date:      Thu, 11 Apr 2002 14:44:22 -0700
From:      "John A. Hengstler" <john@hei.net>
To:        <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ata & tar

Greetings,

I updated to 4.5-stable on April 1.

I have been using tar to do my tape backups on a daily basis.   Since the
upgrade, I have bee n noticing that tar when finished with the backup, it
stays in "top" without dieing.

Here is the status in top  (note the atprq status):

410 root           -6   0   456K   184K atprq    0:42  0.00%  0.00% tar

At first I thought I had a bad build or bad ata driver, so I recvs'd this am
and rebuilt kernel.   Same results.

Here is the tar command that I use:

	tar --create --verbose --gzip --block-compress --file /dev/rast0 /

Kill and kill -9 don't get rid of the line.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?

Regards,

John