Date:      Sun, 7 Jul 2002 06:52:49 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Mozilla Helper Applications

The problem: on two machines (4.5 and 4.6-Stable), Mozilla (0.9.9 and
1.0) steadfastly refuses to use anything entered in Helper Applications.
For example, entering "PDF", "pdf", and "/usr/X11R6/bin/xpdf" to use
xpdf to display PDF files makes no difference when a PDF is clicked.
It always comes up with the "Save file to" requester.

Web searches show that this doesn't seem to be a problem for most
people.  It seems that whatever I'm doing wrong, I'm doing it
consistently wrong.

Things tried: linux-mozilla with xpdf Helper Applications entry,
linux-mozilla with Acrobat Reader 5.05 nppdf symlinked into the Mozilla
plugins directory, native Mozilla with and without --disable-mailnews
port option, every conceivable combination of Helper Applications
entries.  Testing seems to show that any Helper Applications entries are
just ignored, so it's not just a PDF thing.

The native Java plugin is installed and working.

If you can make changes in Mozilla's Helper Application settings and
have them take effect... what did you do differently?  Thanks.