Date:      Fri, 21 Jul 95 10:54:04 +0900
From:      Troy Curtiss <NND10295@pcvan.or.jp>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   PCMCIA Situation...

Hello World...
I am currently on assignment in Japan, and all I have is my trusty:
AST Ascentia 900N 486DX2-50 Notebook Computer
   8MB Ram, 325MB Hard Drive
   PCMCIA II slots (2)
PCMCIA Cards are:
   ATT Keepintouch Express PCMCIA modem 14.4K/FAX/DATA
   Xircom CreditCard Ethernet Adapter IIps  (10BT)

I managed (through some serious hassle) to get 2.0.5R-SNAP-950622.  I
only could use floppies, so I just got the binary, manual, and kernel src.
It installed fine, but I am having the following problems...

The serial ports (both PCMCIA and onboard PC ports, ) are not recognized,
no matter how much pwer-saving stuff I disable in the BIOS.  I also took
out the PCMCIA cards to eliminate any chance of IRQ conflicts... still no
cuaa ports (should be sio0 and sio1).  Any ideas, drivers in devel, similar
probs???  I believe the system uses a VL82C146 (?) PCMCIA controller... At
least that is what the DOS program that uses it says. (sadly enuff, DOS and
Winblows both work fine with these cards, although no simultaneously.. bug?)

The Ethernet card is also not recognized... although that could be due to
no driver support yet... I don:t think the zp or ze dirvers work for this
card???  when I try to manually probe the cards via boot -c option, I get
a kernel panic saying invalid page...blah...blah...

So, I return to America in a few months (October-ish), is there any chance
I can make my modem and ethernet card work over here???  If not, where and
who and what can I do to aid driver development in this area??  Thank you
in advance for all the help I'm sure to get ;)

Troy