Date:      Wed, 4 Feb 2004 08:26:47 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Scott I. Remick" <scott@sremick.net>
To:        Sergey 'DoubleF' Zaharchenko <doublef@tele-kom.ru>
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: "Cannot find file system superblock" error - how to recover?

--- Sergey 'DoubleF' Zaharchenko <doublef@tele-kom.ru> wrote:
> Try using fsck -n (answer `no'), and recording what else comes up.

That won't work, because it answers no to the first question of looking for
alternate superblocks, then aborts immediately. So I'm just going to
manually say no to all questions after yes to the first:

bash-2.05b# fsck /dev/ad2s1e
** /dev/ad2s1e
BAD SUPER BLOCK: MAGIC NUMBER WRONG

LOOK FOR ALTERNATE SUPERBLOCKS? [yn] y

USING ALTERNATE SUPERBLOCK AT 32
** Last Mounted on
** Phase 1 - Check Blocks and Sizes
416 BAD I=2
412 BAD I=3
424 BAD I=4
414 BAD I=4
417 BAD I=5
INCORRECT BLOCK COUNT I=4257794 (8928 should be 9952)
CORRECT? [yn] n

17227776 DUP I=4257795
17227777 DUP I=4257795
17227778 DUP I=4257795
17227779 DUP I=4257795
17227780 DUP I=4257795
17227781 DUP I=4257795
17227782 DUP I=4257795
17227783 DUP I=4257795
17227784 DUP I=4257795
17227785 DUP I=4257795
17227786 DUP I=4257795
EXCESSIVE DUP BLKS I=4257795
CONTINUE? [yn] n

UPDATE STANDARD SUPERBLOCK? [yn] n

***** FILE SYSTEM MARKED DIRTY *****

> If you know what fsdb(8) is, it might be helpful (still with the -r
> (read-only) option, and the -d option as well). I don't, but I'm
> learning it intensively at the moment:).

I don't, and the man page sufficiently put the fear of the almighty in me as
far as it goes "Use this tool with extreme caution--you can damage an FFS
file system beyond what fsck(8) can repair."  It's also a bit out of my
league as far as understanding how to make use of it.

> > so I'd still need to fix that manually somehow... correct?
>
> Yes, by means of dd.

Hmm although that last fsck question "UPDATE STANDARD SUPERBLOCK? [yn]"
seemed interesting.