Date:      Mon, 04 Oct 1999 14:42:29 -0700
From:      "Michael Bryan" <fbsd-security@ursine.com>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: Truth about ssh 1.2.27 vulnerabiltiy]

>> This still allows /dev/log -> /var/run/log to work, but prevents
>> abuse in cases of poor code like in ssh.
>
>Why not just fix the problem?  We can add code via the patches in the ssh
>port, which will later work its way back into ssh.

Fixing ssh makes sense, but modifying the kernel
behaviour also makes sense, as it prevents abuse
for any other programs that have the same coding
error.  Other OS's are already implementing this
type of check in the kernel.  If there is needed
functionality which is lost by such a kernel mod
then it would be less desireable, of course.

Michael Bryan
fbsd-security@ursine.com