Date:      Wed, 4 Feb 2004 09:45:11 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        stan <stanb@panix.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Where can I find a list of the cvsup tags for ports?

On Wednesday 04 February 2004 09:26 am, stan wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 08:48:06AM -0800, Kent Stewart wrote:
> > On Wednesday 04 February 2004 07:42 am, Randy Grafton wrote:
> > > You can use the refuse file to omit branches. I've attached my
> > > cvsupfile and my refuse file to give you an idea as to how this
> > > works. I placed my cvsupfile in /usr/local/etc and the refuse
> > > file goes in /user/local/etc/sup. I then call cvsup -g -L 2
> > > /usr/local/etc/cvsupfile. The directory locations are based on
> > > the settings within the cvsupfile.
> >
> > The problem is that when you add this refuses, you can no longer
> > use portupgrade because building INDEX will most likely fail and
> > the resulting INDEX.db will be close to useless.
>
> ARGH! So I have to use up (albiet not a huge amount) of disk space
> holding these unwanted ports, just to allow portupgrade (which I
> can't live wihtout) to work? I do a portdb -Uu after every cvsup run
> if that maters.

I would probably think of something like "If you want to fly with
Eagles, you have to understand the price."  Of cousre, flying with
Eagles is following ports-all on a frequent basis. If you are content
with it being updated every month or 2, you don't have any problems.
When you refuse, you may leave behind an out of date link. If you
delete the ports tree, you may produce 100's of messages from broken
describes.

You don't have to include everything on all machines, but you really do
on the one that builds INDEX and INDEX.db.

How many MBs are you going to save versus how much trouble you are going
to create. The time and money to get around the problem is your choice.
I think refusing a large number of ports is comparable to not building
sendmail and then finding out that you aren't getting output from your
cron jobs.

I also think that adding a huge number of refuses and then bitching when
INDEX doesn't build is a sufficient reason to add you to a twit list. I
don't do that but I do think it is a sufficient reason.

Kent
--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA