Date:      Fri, 25 Dec 1998 11:36:11 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Regulated names (was: Crazy Laws)

Brett Glass wrote:

> At 12:41 PM 12/24/98 -0800, Mike Smith wrote:
>
> >Chief?  I don't know about that.  But the language is "Franglais", and
> >the thus-named column in Punch Magazine was my first introduction to
> >the concept.
>
> I think that frustrated Frenchmen (and French teachers) were calling
> it "Franglish" long before Punch came out with the column. My first
> French teacher (who was in her 60's or 70's when I had her in elementary
> school in the 1960's) says that they called it that when she was little.

FWIW, I've always known it as Franglais. I rather suspect that the the
case is that English speakers call it Franglais and French speakers call
it Franglish.

In France they have a law that says that all advertising must be in
French, which creates some rather strange anomalies e.g. English and
American schools in France must advertise (presumably for English
speaking pupils) in French :-/. They also made it a condition of
allowing Disney to build EuroDisney in France that the primary language
there is French. Now what's the French for French Fries.....

--
  Trust the computer industry to shorten Year 2000 to Y2K. It
  was this thinking that caused the problem in the first place.

Mark Ovens, CNC Applications Engineer, Radan Computational Ltd
Sheet Metal CAD/CAM Solutions
mailto:marko@uk.radan.com    http://www.radan.com