Date:      Mon, 7 May 2001 15:00:06 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>
Cc:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>, asami@FreeBSD.ORG, hubs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: We seriously need a cleanup on ftp-master

On Mon, May 07, 2001 at 04:46:50PM -0500, Will Andrews wrote:
> > Should we think more carefully about this?  We have users that install a
> > release and stick with it for a long time.  But they still like to be
> > able to install packages with minimal effort.  Do we want to break these
> > case?  I guess this is one argument for having `pkg_add -r' use
> > package-<branch>-stable rather than package-<release>.
>
> Yes, but if you move the bits to FreeBSD-archive, they can just reset
> the prefix of their installs and/or use PACKAGESITE.

You have a lot of faith in our users.  I don't participate in
questions@freebsd.org, so I do what I can to avoid having to send people
there.  I don't care about moving say 4.1-R packages to somewhere very
hard to find as I don't have any 4.1-R hosts anymore, but I do know
people that do.  I brought this up with the hopes that we will stop and
take a moment to thing about the ramifications.  That's all.

> Er.. I didn't say remove them, I said put them in FreeBSD-archive
> instead.

Er, no one will mirror them from FreeBSD-archive.  So where will they get
them from?  ftp-master.freebsd.org is not for user consumption.

> I simply think it's inconvenient for mirror operators to host bits that
> are not obtained even one-tenth of 1% of the time as the newest
> releases/packages.  Not everyone has 50GB of disk space to dedicate
> to FreeBSD, and I don't see a reason to expect that.  :)

If it is truly just a disk space issue, we should investigate if we can
get subsidized disks for well-connected mirrors.
Heck, 50GB is a typical personal MP3 collection.

BW is really the issue, what is expensive, and what we lack.

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)
          Disclaimer: Not speaking for FreeBSD, just expressing my own opinion.