Date:      Wed, 7 Mar 2001 23:15:34 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Stephen Shankland" <stephens@cnet.com>, "Wes Peters" <wes@dobox.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Maxtor picks Windows, dumps open source

>-----Original Message-----
>From: Stephen Shankland [mailto:stephens@cnet.com]
>Sent: Wednesday, March 07, 2001 8:18 AM
>To: Ted Mittelstaedt; Wes Peters
>Cc: freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
>Subject: RE: Maxtor picks Windows, dumps open source
>

>Thanks for all the e-mail, folks.

Hi Stephen,

  Thanks very much for at least taking the time to respond to what
probably were a number of e-mails from many other people, regarding
your article at

http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2692519,00.html?chkpt=zdhpnews
01

  Members of The FreeBSD Project do appreciate any mention of FreeBSD
in the news, whether positive or negative.  We enjoy positive
comments and stories as praise for hard work on the Project.  We
view negative stories as an opportunity to correct problems and
make things better.

  I'm pleased that you acknowledged that the statement that Steve Williams
made was incorrect in talking about a 2GB limit.  For the record, he also
was incorrect when he said that FreeBSD doesen't support Apple
filesystems because there are several FreeBSD programs that do.  We look
forward to a followup story setting the record straight.

  There are some valid responses to the assertion, unsupported by
fact, that Win2K has better interoperability than FreeBSD.
I'm particularly annoyed at this implication because I just got done
publishing a book that is _specifically_ about interoperation of FreeBSD in
a Windows network.  Probably nobody at Maxtor read it.  I also might point
out that the majority of corporations _at_this_time_ have not made the move
to Win2K and have no intention of doing so.  Per Aberdeen Group, Giga
Information Group, see

http://datamation.earthweb.com/earthweb/cda/dlink.resource-jhtml.72.965.%7Cr
epository%7C%7Citmanagement%7Ccontent%7Carticle%7C2000%7C12%7C06%7CEMmullich
wincon%7CEMmullichwincon~xml.41.jhtml?cda=true

About the only advantage of Win2K on Maxtor's product that I can see at this
time is that there's a bunch of commercial ISV's that are eager to sell the
customers add-on software that they couldn't do if it was FreeBSD.  (because
the stuff that they would use to do the same tasks is all free under
FreeBSD)  Some advantage - it seems that Maxtor is more interested in making
friends with the ISV's than giving the customer a cost-effective solution.

  As I've stated before in the Advocacy group, I don't mind if someone
prints a slanted story if it's clearly marked as an opinion piece.  I do
that myself with my own column all the time.  What I object to, and I think
most people object to, is framing a story as a news piece that is so
obviously biased towards a party.  I would feel equally uncomfortable if you
wrote a story that was completely slanted towards FreeBSD and failed to get
a quote from any of the competition.

  In the future when talking about FreeBSD whether in a
positive or a negative light, e-mail someone in the group and GET A
QUOTE from them.  In the FreeBSD Project itself, Jordan K Hubbard
<jkh@freebsd.org> is assigned to Public Relations
& Corporate Liaison.  There are also some recognized individuals (such as
myself, and Greg Lehey, and several other authors) in the FreeBSD
community, and in addition to that, BSDi (owner of Walnut Creek, the largest
FreeBSD distributor) has a marketing department.

   ---Any of us can speak for the FreeBSD Project!!!  Unlike a commercial
organization FreeBSD is completely volunteer, and the folks here ARE
the Voice of FreeBSD----

You can call me at my office anytime 9-6 MF, PST for a quote if you
have a hot story.  There's absolutely NO EXCUSE for not getting a quote.