Date:      Mon, 01 May 2000 23:50:06 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@neomedia.it>
To:        "Sean O'Connell" <sean@stat.Duke.EDU>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ldconfig not configuring NOT solved

sean@stat.Duke.EDU
> Institute of Statistics and Decision Sciences Phone: (919) 684-5419
> Duke University                               Fax:   (919) 684-8594

[redirected to -questions]

Dear Sean,

thanks again for replying.

In the meanwhile, I remade the world (-CURRENT sources as of 30 April
9:30 GMT.) Most of the following operations were carried out in the
new world.

/usr/compat/linux/sbin/ldconfig should be correctly brandelfed: I
copied it to ldconfig.orig and re-brandelfed ldconfig. "Diff" shows NO
difference between the two files.

In the "old" (as of 25 April 9 GMT) world, I had performed an
analogous operation on /usr/compat/linux/lib/ld-2.1.2.so. In this
case, there WAS a difference between the two binary files ld-2.1.2.so
and ld-2.1.2.so.orig.

Also, (in the "new" world) I had made sure that the symlink
ld-linux.so.2 pointed at the right file: I had moved ld-2.1.2.so.orig
to another directory as well as moving (paranoia)
/usr/compat/linux/sbin/ldconfig.orig. NOT moving
ld-config-2.1.2.so.orig had in fact previously produced weird effects:
launching the Linux ldconfig had modified the ld-linux.so.2 symlink,
and had made it point at ... ld-2.1.2.so.orig.

However, whether I used the brandelfed version of ld-2.1.2.so or not,
issuing "acroread4" produced the same error: ELF interpreter
/lib/ld-linux.so2. not found.

By the way, after brandelfing the dreaded ld-2.1.2.so, I issued
"/usr/compat/linux/usr/bin/ldd /usr/compat/linux/sbin/ldconfig". It
spat out "[...] /lib/ld-linux.so.2: not found
ldd: /lib/ld-linux.so.2 exited with unknown exit code (127)".

Needless to say, I executed "/usr/compat/linux/sbin/ldconfig -p | grep
ld" and I was told (wait for it) that ld-linux.so.2 WAS in the hints.

Ok, probably brandelfing ld-2.1.2.so was not a good idea.
The fact is, Acrobat Reader does NOT work (same error) with the
original ld-2.1.2.so, either.

I am a little confused. I may be missing something trivial; the Linux
emulation layer may be *partly* broken (StarOffice 5.1a does work);
or else the Linux emulation has been doing all this ... just to spite
me :-)

Is anybody out there running Acrobat Reader 4.05 (installed via ports)
under -CURRENT ?

As I had already said, the 4.05 Reader runs fine on another 4.0-S
system of mine.

Best regards,
Salvo