Date:      Thu, 25 Jul 2002 15:53:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chris Coleman <chrisc@vmunix.com>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        qa@FreeBSD.org, re@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Update for 4.6.1 issues

> Can you verify if these various drives use the same manufacturer and/or
> did 4.5 work ok on these machines?  The one I had here 4.5 worked ok
> just 4.6 died.  Also, if you have a machine available that this is
> reproducible on, can you see if 4.6.1-RC2 images have the same
> problem?  Thanks tons for the confirm.

In every case 4.5 worked fine on the CD Drive, but 4.6 died.  I didn't get
any config specifics because we were mostly trying to determine if it was
a media problem or not.  However, most customers said it was an
"older" drive and one user said it was a Mistsumi 8x CDRom.

Right after the release of 4.6, while teaching the FBSD sysadmin classes,
I think I ran into this same problem, but from a different angle.  I had
the class upgrade to 4.6 via CVSup and after re-compiling the kernel the
CDrom drive was no longer mountable.  Since I was in class, I had no time
to research the problem and we just used an older kernel to finish the
class.  So, all the CDroms in the rented class were the same and the all
died at 4.6, but worked with 4.5 so this may be the same problem.  But, I
don't know.

-Chris