Date:      Thu, 16 Nov 1995 14:44:40 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        Donald Burr <d_burr@ix.netcom.com>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Question about incrementing kernel revision #'s?

On Wed, 15 Nov 1995, Chuck Robey wrote:

> I think I have this straight ... every time you do a config, unless you
> use the -n parameter to config, it wipes out your build directory,
> /usr/src/sys/compile/KERNELNAME.  If you were to do two builds without
> cleaning things out, then you would get the version number rising.  This
> seems to be controlled by a file vers.c which is built using a script
> named newversion.sh, in /usr/src/sys/conf, which extracts all the current
> info, and increments the version number (I'm not yet clear on how)
>
> I've seen so many embarrassing errors go by caused by folks that 'knew
> better' not doing cleanouts, that I really wouldn't recommend doing that
> config -n unless you're ready to look dumb when you get caught by it.

	Possible to put vers.c in some sort of "holding pattern" where it
doesn't get removed when you do a 'config <KERNELNAME'?  Considering that
you make the kernel as root, generally, even putting something as messy
as /etc/version that gets incremented, and then vers.c would look in there
for what version was installed would be nice...

	Then again, if vers.c is part of the kernel, isn't there something
that can be called when you are compiling (or a program to run) that would
query the current kernel for version number, and then increment that?

	Sorry if this doesn't make much sense...kernel internals are something
that I don't play with...

Marc G. Fournier | Knowledge, Information and Communications, Inc (ki.net)
scrappy@hub.org  |
 soon to be:     |
scrappy@ki.net   | For more information, send me email.