Date:      Wed, 4 Feb 2004 13:17:26 -0500
From:      Louis Munro <louismunro@altern.org>(by way of Louis Munro <louismunro@altern.org>)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   xinerama setup on kde 3.1.4

Hello everyone,
I'm posting this here after trying the freebsd-x11mailing list as it didn't
produce the expected results. Hopefully someone among you will know more
about this than I...
I'm trying to setup KDE to display in full xinerama on my new computer. I
 have an nvidia GFX5600 which is capable of displaying on two monitors (I've
 got it working with windows Xp) but I can't seems to get it right on
 FreeBSD: X only displays on one monitor and just blanks out the other. So I
 have a few questions:
--Do I have to compile Xfree86 with some special arguments to enable
 xinerama? I installed it from the cd (4.9 stable, world remade about a week
 ago). --Does KDE 3.1.4 support xinerama? Do I have to do anything special to
 enable it?
--I haven't found all that much information about configuring xinerama. Have
 I missed anything?

I'm appending my XFree86config so you guys can tell me if it's something in
there that's incorrect.

Thanks for your help.

Louis

# XFree86config-XINERAMA

# **********************************************************************
# Module section -- this  section  is used to specify
# which dynamically loadable modules to load.
# **********************************************************************
#

Section "Module"
    Load        "dbe"  	# Double buffer extension

    SubSection  "extmod"
      Option    "omit xfree86-dga"   # don't initialise the DGA extension
    EndSubSection

    Load        "type1"
    Load        "speedo"
#    Load        "freetype"
#    Load        "xtt"
    Load       "glx"
#    Load       "dri"

EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Files section.  This allows default font and rgb paths to be set
# **********************************************************************

Section "Files"

    RgbPath	"/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"

    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/local/"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
#    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType/"
#    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/freefont/"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"

# The module search path.  The default path is shown here.

#    ModulePath "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules"

EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Server flags section.
# **********************************************************************

#Section "ServerFlags"

#EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Input devices
# **********************************************************************

# **********************************************************************
# Core keyboard's InputDevice section
# **********************************************************************

Section "InputDevice"

    Identifier	"Keyboard1"
    Driver	"Keyboard"
    Option "AutoRepeat" "500 30"
    Option "XkbRules"	"xfree86"
    Option "XkbModel"	"microsoftinet"
    Option "XkbLayout"	"ca_enhanced"

EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Core Pointer's InputDevice section
# **********************************************************************

Section "InputDevice"

# Identifier and driver

    Identifier	"Mouse1"
    Driver	"mouse"
    Option "Protocol"    "Auto"
    Option "Device"      "/dev/sysmouse"
    Option "ZAxisMapping""4 5"

EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Monitor section
# **********************************************************************

# Any number of monitor sections may be present

Section "Monitor"

Identifier  "IBM G78"
HorizSync   30-85
VertRefresh 50-160

EndSection

Section "Monitor"

Identifier  "KTX topscan 15"
HorizSync   31.5-60
VertRefresh 40-110

EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Graphics device section
# **********************************************************************

# Any number of graphics device sections may be present

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "GFX5600-0"
    Driver      "nv"
    BusID           "PCI:1:0:0"
    #VideoRam    131072
    # Insert Clocks lines here if appropriate
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "GFX5600-1"
    Driver      "nv"
    BusID           "PCI:1:0:0"
    #VideoRam    131072
    # Insert Clocks lines here if appropriate
EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Screen sections
# **********************************************************************

# Any number of screen sections may be present.  Each describes
# the configuration of a single screen.  A single specific screen section
# may be specified from the X server command line with the "-screen"
# option.
Section "Screen"
    Identifier  "Screen 1"
    Device      "GFX5600-0
    Monitor     "IBM G78"
    DefaultDepth 16

    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       16
        Modes       "1280x1024" "1024x768"
        ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection

EndSection
Section "Screen"

    Identifier  "Screen 2"
    Device      "GFX5600-1"
    Monitor     "KTX topscan 15"
    DefaultDepth 16

    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       16
        Modes       "1280x1024" "1024x768"
        ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection

EndSection
# **********************************************************************
# ServerLayout sections.
# **********************************************************************

# Any number of ServerLayout sections may be present.  Each describes
# the way multiple screens are organised.  A specific ServerLayout
# section may be specified from the X server command line with the
# "-layout" option.  In the absence of this, the first section is used.
# When now ServerLayout section is present, the first Screen section
# is used alone.

Section "ServerLayout"

# The Identifier line must be present
    Identifier  "xinerama"