Date:      Thu, 7 Oct 1999 11:20:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@phone.net>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Port with an external database?

The xtide port is badly out of date - xtide 2.1.7 is the current
version. I've got it built, and the person listed as the xtide port
maintainer has no problems with replacing the current port.

The catch is, xtide 2 *requires* an external database to work. More
accurately, it requires one of several databases, with an optional xml
file as well. It expects to find HFILE_PATH set to a list of
"harmonics" files. Each file includes the constants for tide equations
at various locations. There are five such files for different parts of
the world. Finally, there is an xml file for dealing with subordinate
locations. The actual installation could use any one harmonics file,
or all five of them and the offsets file, or any combination of them.

I'm not sure how to deal with that. Is there a port that includes such
an external database that I could look at?

	Thanx,
	<mike