Date:      Tue, 28 Jan 1997 11:18:50 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        matra <matra@diemme.it>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Newbie...

On Fri, 24 Jan 1997, matra wrote:

> 1 - Suppose ,for example, i have FreeBSD-2.1.5 with ,for example, sendmail
>     version x.y.z . If i ftp from a.b.c the newest sendmail, unpack it
>     in /usr/src and compile it , have i FreeBSD-2.1.5 or "FreeBSD-matra"?

You have FreeBSD 2.1.5 with an updated version of Sendmail.

(sendmail is a good example -- we update it religiously on our machines.)

> 2 - Why ports?
>     I have installed many programs (nvi,vile,diffutils,a prolog
>     compiler) from various srcs without problems !

Many programs don't install without changes, and others require odd setup
steps.  The ports and package systems streamline this process.

> 3 - FreeBSD's libc is different from the linux libc; Where can i get
>     the src for it ? Wat about libg++ ?Can anyone give me information
>     about diffs between linux-libc and freebsd-libc?

The diffs would be entire files, let me tell you.  :)

If you're interested in the source, you can do one of many things:

1.  install the sbin (?) distribution from the cd or ftp site.  This is
all the binaries and libraries, but libc will be in there.

2.  Find someone with the cvs tree on their machine, and use cvs checkout
to check out the libc section from any version you like.

3.  Set up cvsup and either grab the necessary collection (src-bin?), in
CVS or checked-out form from any point in time.

4.  Go to http://www.freebsd.org, Support->CVSWeb and look at the source
and change logs file-by-file.

> 4 - Finally ; I have 2.2.0 src dist from ftp.freebsd.org ; When i try
>     to compile it , this is the result :
>
>     "Makefile", line 324:Could not find bsd.kern.mk
>
>     And the /usr/sbin/config says :
>
>     UNKNOWN % construct in generic makefile :%SFILES
>
>     Have i to upgrade the config program ?

Compiling from source is very difficult.  Check if
/usr/share/mk/bsd.kern.mk exists; if not, you'll need to grab it.

> 5 - Where can i get newest version of gcc/libc/libg++ ? Can i use sup
>     for this purpose ?

The latest version (2.7.2.1) is included in FreeBSD 2.2 and later (from
what I'm told -- I apologize for the misreference to 2.1.6, if that's the
case).   It should be sufficient for most purposes.  If you need newer,
check to see if it's in -current first.  If it is in -current, you should
be able to pull the gcc directory and build it separately.  Or if you feel
*really* lucky, you can attempt to port it yourself, but you'd better be
familiar with the FreeBSD-specific changes before doing so.

> 6 - The last : using ppa driver for a zip-100 can i newfs an UFS fs on
>     a 100MB disk ?

I've never used it, so I can't say.  I will say that the SCSI version
works quite well though, and the necessary disktab entries are stored in
the mail archives on http://www.freebsd.org -> Search.

> Uff... so much things to do and so little time available ....

It's as hard as you want to make it.  :)

If you haven't taken the opportunity recently, check out
http://www.freebsd.org, especially the Documentation section.  Tons of
great info there in the Handbook and FAQ.

Hope this helps.