Date:      Wed, 04 Dec 2013 16:29:47 -0500
From:      Jim Ohlstein <jim@ohlste.in>
To:        Erwin Lansing <erwin@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BIND chroot environment in 10-RELEASE...gone?

On 12/4/13, 4:47 AM, Erwin Lansing wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 04, 2013 at 08:16:06AM +1100, Mark Andrews wrote:
>>
>> As for 9.9.x ESV it will be support for to at least June 2017, which
>> is 5+ years from BIND 9.9.0, and 4 years after 9.9.x was announced
>> as the ESV series with BIND 9.9.3.
>>
>> BIND 9.6 went ESV in Mar 2010 and will be EoL in Jan 2014.
>>
>> BIND 9.10 in is alpha at the moment.
>>
>> BIND 10 is still in development.
>>

> Thanks for chiming in Mark.  As you can see, there's some confusion
> about BIND9's lifetime, so getting this straight from the horse's mouth
> is good.

With due respect, I don't see any confusion at all. BIND 9.9 will be
supported for at least another 3.5 years. Had anyone actually asked that
question they would have known the answer. It's right here at
https://www.isc.org/downloads/software-support-policy/.

There's really no excuse for not having gotten this right. As a result,
everyone will now see at least two changes from 9 -> 10 -> 11 instead of
perhaps just one, even if you accept the wisdom of removing BIND at all.

> I did a presentation at the recent ICANN meeting about why BIND was
> removed from base, slides are at
> http://people.freebsd.org/~erwin/presentations/20131118-ICANN-FreeBSD-DNS.pdf
>
> Note that most of the reasons all fall back to reducing code base and
> complexity, and some of the other bullets all follow from that.  It has
> more to do with how BIND was integrated into FreeBSD than BIND itself
> and unbound just has the advantage that it does not have an authoritatve
> part (and key management etc), with associated options and potential
> security vulnerabilities, and thus hopefully will be easier to maintain
> in the base system.

I get this but from a security point of view, the changes make a system
at best as secure (with a lot of work for each individual user) and at
worst, a whole lot *less* secure if chroot(8) is not properly configured.

I know that people are concerned about the number of security advisories
but as you and others have pointed out, it's a highly scrutinized piece
of software, and also, I'd add, one which is a frequent object of attack
due to its widespread use.

For the people who are so concerned about the SA's, they still have the
option to set WITHOUT_BIND_NAMED in src.conf, or at least they did
before it was deprecated. Even if they were tracking RELEASE they did
not need to enable BIND in rc.conf. A program that never runs is rarely
a security risk.

Now a bit of a rant about 10 in general:

I think it's clear that 10 is a departure from previous versions in
several ways. There's a new default compiler. The iconv/libiconv change.
The removal of BIND from base (which was not as it was billed to us
earlier). There are of course others as well. The compiler has not been
a problem for me yet. I've been using clang for awhile now since this
was planned awhile ago. The other two changes caused a great deal of
trouble in my test box. Ports did not want to rebuild because libiconv
would not build. I prefer to set my own options for a lot of ports and
so packages often do not work for me. I had to resort to installing all
of my ports as packages, rebuilding them with my options and then
removing the unneeded packages that were installed as dependencies for
the pre-built packages' options that I didn't need. That has (so far)
solved the libiconv/iconv issue but it will put a machine that depends
on custom configurations of ports out of business for hours or more in
the process. And that's before I installed a jail (and all of the
necessary bits for that jail to communicate with the outside world) and
installed BIND in that jail, and moved all of my zones, etc from
/var/named/etc/named in the host to /usr/local/etc/named in the jail and
reconfigured named.conf. A lot of work. And the sad part is that part of
the reason for BIND being removed from base in 10 was because of a
"misunderstanding".

--
Jim Ohlstein