Date:      Mon, 8 Apr 2002 16:40:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Von Essen <john@essenz.com>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   kern/36912: IDE CD-ROM and Tape Drive Not working under 4.5-STABLE

>Number:         36912
>Category:       kern
>Synopsis:       IDE CD-ROM and Tape Drive Not working under 4.5-STABLE
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
Machine had the following hardware installed: Seagate Travan-5 IDE Tape Drive on secondary IDE as slave, and CD-ROM on secondary IDE as master. CD-ROM was on the last plug of the IDE cable, Tape Drive was on the middle plug. Motherboard was TYAN 2505T. Installed 4.4-RELEASE and everything worked fine. The CD-ROM was /dev/acd0c and the tape drive was /dev/rast0. Did a few test backups to the tape, no problems.

Then I cvsup to 4.5-STABLE (4/7/02) and make world. Before building 4.5-STABLE kernel, I reboot, and everything works fine. Then I build kernel from 4.5-STABLE src and reboot, and then things stop working. The CD-ROM no longer works as /dev/acd0c. So sysinstall cant find the CD-ROM. I can however manually mount /cdrom using /dev/acd0a. The tape doesnt work at all. It either allows you to begin a backup and then craps out, or says rast0 device is not configured. By crap out, I mean the tar cvf /dev/rast0 process just stops, and cannot be killed.

Now, if I reboot and use kernel.GENERIC everything works fine, its when I use 4.5-STABLE kernel that everything gets flaky. I eventually just built a 4.4-RELEASE kernel, and kept all the 4.5-STABLE binaries and libs from make world, and this has no problems. So I am geussing there might be some bug in kernel src, maybe for ata devices or something. I have also tried removing the tape drive, and just using the CD-ROM, but that had no difference.
>How-To-Repeat:
Ideally, build 4.5-STABLE kernel on a TYAN 2505T board with at least an IDE CD-ROM. Maybe this is effecting all boards though. If I have a chance, I'll cvsup one of my other systems and see if same problems arise.