Date:      Sun, 4 Oct 1998 19:56:05 +0200
From:      Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org>
To:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
Cc:        Open Systems Networking <opsys@mail.webspan.net>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is PPP now being used by all 3 *BSD's?

In <19981003223829.A27652@emsphone.com>, Dan Nelson wrote:
> In the last episode (Oct 03), Jordan K. Hubbard said:
> > > NetBSD uses in-kernel PPP, not userland PPP.  pppd(8) does the PPP
> > > connection setup, and control messages, and stuff... but framing et
> > > al are all handled in the kernel by if_ppp.c
> > >
> > > Note that the PPP package we use also supports demand-dial and whatnot.
> >
> > Hmmm.  Sounds like we really need to integrate NetBSD's kernel ppp
> > code sometime. :-) If nothing else, it would greatly assist us in
> > creating stand-alone ppp router floppies.
>
> ummm
>
> They're already the same code, Jordan :)  There's pretty much one pppd
> version, based at ftp://cs.anu.edu.au/pub/software/ppp/ .  2.3.5 was
> brought into both 2.2.* and 3.* in June, and claims to do demand-dial
> and filtering like user-ppp.  It still requires an external chat
> program, and doesn't have interactive/online configuration like
> user-ppp does though.

Last time I looked, the "official" pppd didn't support dial-on-demand,
while the NetBSD did at the same time.

Maybe "someone" can arrange a full feature-backfeeded pppd
distribution we can all use? [not me, don't have a clue about
networking]

Martin
--
Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org> http://www.cons.org/cracauer