Date:      Wed, 10 Jan 2007 10:49:32 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        "J. W. Ballantine" <jwb@homer.att.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: booting question

--==_Exmh_1168454972_1985P

> Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 06:53:36 -0500
> From: "J. W. Ballantine" <jwb@homer.att.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
>

> Hi
>
> I got hit with the fatal trap problem in the prerelease kernel.
>
> Li Xin suggested that I unload, load kernel.old and re-boot.  When I did that
> it hung during the boot process, just after the pci message.  I did
> get the system to re-boot using kernel.GENERIC, but was wondering why
> kernel.old hung since it was a bootable kernel.

Don't unload. Assuming that you use loader, let the system proceed to
the count-down and press any key except <ENTER>. Then enter the command:
boot kernel.old

If you want to boot with options, place them at the end. (E.g. "boot
kernel.old -s"

Otherwise you get into issues with module/kernel comparability.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer