Date:      Fri, 17 May 2002 11:26:56 +0100
From:      Dominic Marks <dominic_marks@btinternet.com>
To:        Sergey Ledenev <sergey@orl.ru>
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: maxusers

The appropriate list for this is freebsd-questions@freebsd.org.

> I have question about maxusers parameter in freebsd kernel. how slowly
> will be machine if i set maxusers more that i'm need. (for example
> maxusers 100 is enough for my, but i'm set maxusers 200. How slowly my
> computer will be work and how can i see it?).

Over allocating wastes resources. You can see this in for example the
output of netstat -m, if you are only using 30% of the allocated
buffers at peak times, you are wasting chunks of memory. You should
of course always allow around 10-20% extra for unexpected load spikes.

> Why in man 7 tuning write: "We do not recommend going above 256 unless you
> need a huge number of file descriptors"?

Because for most uses 256 descriptors is plenty. Only rarely do people
really need as many as say, maxusers 512, provides. Some people think
they will get better performance by allocating huge pools of resources
which they never come close to making use of, which is silly.

<snip/>

--
Dominic