Date:      Mon, 24 Jul 2000 13:18:22 +0100
From:      "Roberto Nunnari, AGIE" <roberto.Nunnari@agie.ch>
To:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   gateway strange behaviour for telnet and ftp

Hi there.

Some time ago I already posted a question on this strange
behaviour I see when telnet or ftp from the local network
to the gateway.

Here's the network configuration:
- host1 192.168.1.1 gateway to my isp
- host2 192.168.1.2 workstation
- host3 192.168.1.3 workstation
- host4 192.168.1.4 workstation

host1 also acts as a master DNS for the local network

other host have host1 as the default router and DNS.

all workstation can reach each other and also access the
internet through host1

Every thing works just marveillous until I try to
telnet or ftp or nfs host1  from any other host on the local
network. Here, the initiating host don't get a login prompt
until host1 has made a connection to the isp.

I'm pretty sure named is behaving well as nslookup
doesn't report anything wrong and the problem show up
both using host1's name or ip address directly. I'm
thinking more of some missconfigured filter or ipfw,
but host1 is not set up as a firewall...

Any hints?

Best regards.
--
              Roberto Nunnari -software engineer-