Date:      Fri, 04 Oct 2002 15:51:54 -0700
From:      Michael Sierchio <kudzu@tenebras.com>
To:        Glenn Trewitt <trewitt@cs.cmu.edu>
Cc:        Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>, FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: small install

Glenn Trewitt wrote:

> DESTDIR=/s1/soekris

If you're doing IPSec or PPTP or any VPN you may want OpenSSL,
since it's the source of the crypto libs, and hardware support
for the vpn card is available via Sam Leffler's OpenBSD /dev/crypto
patches to -STABLE as of 08/xx/2002.  This causes kern_random to
use the HW RBG on the HiFn chip, and the OpenSSL Engine code uses
the crypto functions of the chip.

It seems that ENGINE is not included in the base install of OpenSSL,
which caused some confusion during my first attempt to apply the patch,
but is easily remedied.

I question whether you'd want any compiler at all on a firewall...