Date:      Wed, 10 Oct 2001 22:25:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Alex Varju <alex@varju.bc.ca>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   USB Camera

Hi there,

I have been trying to get my Olympus C3040 digital camera working with my
FreeBSD 4.4 machine, and ran into a few hitches.  The first of which was
solved by bringing a small kernel change in from the -current tree.  Is
there any chance that somebody would be willing to merge revision 1.76 of
sys/cam/scsi/scsi_da.c back to the -stable tree?

Having made this change, things seem to basically function.  I can plug
the camera into my USB port, turn it on, and do a 'mount -t msdos
/dev/da0s1 /camera'.  I can move files on and off of the memory card
without difficulty.

The only problem I have now is that it runs slowly.  If I plug the camera
into my roommate's Win2k machine, I can copy all files off of a 16MB card
in 25 seconds.  On my FreeBSD machine it takes over 4 minutes.  Is there
anything I can tweak that would improve this?

All in all, it works.  I much appreciate all of the hard work that has
gone in to getting the system to a point where I can do this much.

Thank you,
Alex

--
alex varju <alex@varju.bc.ca>