Date:      Mon, 30 Sep 2002 10:10:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: docs/43528: ACPI is not documented in the Handbook.

The following reply was made to PR docs/43528; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To: murray@FreeBSD.org
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 13:09:23 -0400 (EDT)

 On 30-Sep-2002 murray@FreeBSD.org wrote:

 >>Number:         43528
 >>Category:       docs
 >>Synopsis:       ACPI is not documented in the Handbook.
 >>Confidential:   no
 >>Severity:       serious
 >>Environment:
 > System: FreeBSD builder.freebsdmall.com 4.7-RC FreeBSD 4.7-RC #17: Sun Sep 29 15:18:19 PDT 2002
 > murray@builder.freebsdmall.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/BUILDER i386

 > ACPI is not documented at all in the Handbook.  It does not show up in
 > the INDEX.  Multiple pages of user documentation need to be written
 > for the Handbook to show users how to accomplish basic tasks with
 > ACPI.
 >
 > How do you suspend a laptop with ACPI?  What different suspend options
 > are available?  What is the difference between them?

 The same exact way you do with apm.  I.e. close the lid, hit the suspend
 key, etc.  Is this even documented for apm(8)?

 > How do you use CPU throttling?

 You don't for the most part, that is behind the scenes.

 > What do common ACPI error messages mean?

 I don't even know what most of those are. :(

 Almost everything ACPI gives you is transparent.  The same interface that
 apm used is supported, so battery status applets that work with APM will
 work with ACPI.  The only difference is new features may work such as
 hitting the suspend key on the keyboard actually working and hitting the
 power button actually doing a clean power down and soft off.