Date:      Thu, 31 Dec 1998 14:15:39 +0000
From:      Manar Hussain <manar@ivision.co.uk>
To:        ibex@physik.TU-Berlin.DE
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG, sysadmin@ivision.co.uk
Subject:   FreeBSD Port: mysql-3.21.33

It appears to be the case that the mysql-3.21.33 port requires perl5 to
have been registered *as a package* in order for mysql to be properly
registered as a package. I.e. on a system with perl5 installed - but not as
a package, then the following errors are given when installing the
mysql-3.21.33 port.

===>   Registering installation for mysql-3.21.33
make: don't know how to make package-name. Stop
make: don't know how to make package-name. Stop

MySQL otherwise appears to install fine so at the very least a better
message should probably be created. I.e. I think that either:

(a) It is felt that if MySQL has a dependancy on perl then when MySQL is
installed as a package and is to be registered as such, perl5 should also
be registered as a package. If so then a nice error/warning saying "MySQL
has been installed . MySQL has a dependancy on Perl5. Perl5 is installed on
your machine - but not registered as a package. MySQL has thus not been
registered as a package though the installation is otherwise successful."
would at least make the reasons for the fail clearer.

or (as I would prefer):

(b) You should feel free to give out a warning that whilst perl5 is
installed - it is not installed as a package as you might otherwise have
suggested, but otherwise not fail the MySQL package registration when you
find Perl5 but then don't find it registered as a package.

Hope that makes some sense!

Regards,

Manar