Date:      Fri, 26 Apr 1996 02:52:49 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, lehey.pad@sni.de
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: request for a new "feature" as regards DDB

>> Polling the keyboard is destructive too.  It took me many hours over
>> many months to learn how to poll the keyboard on XTs.  Early attempts
>> used the 8259 to poll for interrupts.  This didn't work well because it
>> changed the state of the 8259.  AT keyboards are much easier.

>Do we still need support for XT keyboards? :-)  Lowbug polls the
>keyboard, and I haven't had any problems with it.

FreeBSD never supported them.  My debugger does.  I won't break it :-).

>> And that you can read the counters.  The counters for timer0-3 are
>> always readable.  Only the counters for periods >= 1 second in the RTC
>> are readable.

>We're really only talking about a 30 second (or whatever) timeout
>here.  The RTC counters would do just fine for that.

Except they will be stopped when you're tracing resettodr() and any other
time RTCSB_HALT happens to be set due to a bug.  More importantly, they
are can't be read without destroying the state of the (write-only) RTC
index register.

Bruce