Date:      Wed, 16 Oct 1996 18:20:02 -0500 (CDT)
From:      dnelson@emsphone.com (Dan Nelson)
To:        jwenger@bentreality.com (Jack Wenger)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.com
Subject:   Re: Quake Server

in the last episode, Jack Wenger said:
> I've been looking around the net for about a week, trying to figure
> out how to run a Quake server on my FBSD 2.1.0 box. Anyone know of a
> port to this OS? I've found a Linux port, but I believe our
> (deceased) SysAdmin didn't put Linux compatability on the install.
> Thanx from a game addict!

You will need to upgrade to 2.2 (SNAP) at least.  That's when the
Linux-elf emulation went into the kernel.  Check out
ftp://quake.emsphone.com/pub/quake for a small readme and some scripts
to keep your server running when it crashes.

Is anyone collecting a list of people running Linux/FreeBSD servers?
If we knew what percentage of the ~360 servers out there are running
Unix, we might get a bit of leverage at Id to keep porting the code..

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com