Date:      Tue, 29 Apr 1997 20:04:14 -0500
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <sysop@mixcom.com>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.com
Subject:   Re: Syslog bug?

At 07:19 PM 4/27/97 +0200, J Wunsch wrote:
>They should get.  This address appears in public, so it is expected to
>be reverse lookupable.

That is one point, the other is that http is an accessed service.  It does
not initiate any connections.  From a security standpoint I'd say it is
better to *not* have inverse on web hosts.  The server they are on has
inverse, so mail works perfectly for them, as the server is doing the
actual work via SMTP.

Keep in mind that this server is running smap for proxy and sendmail runs
from cron, so sendmail does not need to do hostlookups.

>To bother you to fix the broken DNS. :-)

Yesterday one server refused SMTP connections from 186 unique servers due
to lack of inverse.  Now to add to my first part, a user on another system
had inverse for their web host, but the server it was hosted on didn't, so
it fails.

I don't care to guess hown many refused connections for POP3 we get a week
from dial-up addresses with no inverse.

Just a bit annoyed at sendmail trying to tell me something is broken, when
to me it isn't.  New feature, my....  And there doesn't look like any quick
fix.

Jeff Mountin - System/Network Administrator
jeff@mixcom.net

MIX Communications
Serving the Internet since 1990