Date:      Mon, 15 Oct 2001 00:10:19 -0400
From:      parv <parv_@yahoo.com>
To:        Scott Gerhardt <scott@gerhardt-it.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: "nl" command

this was, on the fateful occasion around Oct 14 22:18 -0400,
sent by Scott Gerhardt

> I'm new to FreeBSD but not new to Linux/UNIX so bear with me.
> I tried using "nl" to number lines in standard out put and I got this:
>
> 102 scott@blue: /home/scott > ls -al | ln
> usage: ln [-fhinsv] file1 file2
>        ln [-fhinsv] file ... directory
>        link file1 file2

you sure you are not high?  you tried 'ln' not 'nl' and quoted
the wrong man page, curs_outopts(3X).

try again...

NL(1)                   FreeBSD General Commands Manual                  NL(1)

NAME
     nl - line numbering filter

SYNOPSIS
     nl [-p] [-b type] [-d delim] [-f type] [-h type] [-i incr] [-l num]
        [-n format] [-s sep] [-v startnum] [-w width] [file]

DESCRIPTION
     The nl utility reads lines from the named file or the standard input if
     the file argument is ommitted, applies a configurable line numbering fil-
     ter operation and writes the result to the standard output.

     The nl utility treats the text it reads in terms of logical pages.
     Unless specified otherwise, line numbering is reset at the start of each
     logical page.  A logical page consists of a header, a body and a footer
     section; empty sections are valid.  Different line numbering options are
     independently available for header, body and footer sections.