Date:      Mon, 20 Mar 2000 10:58:18 -0500
From:      Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing FreeBSD 4.0 on Sony Vaio PCG-F490 laptop

Charles Martin <martin@chasm.org> probably said:
> But more alarming to me was the result of trying to boot Windows.  I get
> the following:
>
>     ERROR: Unable to control A20 line!
>            XMS Driver not installed.
> (So Windows never does fully boot.)  I check C:\WINDOWS and indeed

> HIMEM.SYS is there.  Can someone tell me: (A) How to get my Windows machine
> back, and (B) How I should go about resizing the C partition to get my
> FreeBSD root below cylinder 1024?

Did you power cycle the laptop ?

One of the few problems I've had with my sony laptop is the A20
control problem after booting from some sources - like the Partition
Magic recovery floppy every time and occasionally freebsd - it will
not boot windows until I power the machine off and back on again.

I just got into the habit of power cycling the machine in general before
booting windows (freebsd deals fine).

As to resizing, I recommend Partition Magic. Yes, it's commercial, but
it will resize fat32 partitions amongst other things (like converting
between fat16 anf fat32 in both directions) and generally seems to
work quite well.

P.

--
pir                  pir@pir.net                    pir@net.tufts.edu