Date:      Mon, 29 Jul 2002 13:50:58 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
To:        C Peter Biessener <pbiessener@hirshfields.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD LIST <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.Org>
Subject:   Re: find question

On Mon, 29 Jul 2002, C Peter Biessener wrote:
> I apologize, I was a little hasty in posting this question, the -mtime
> +n syntax does work.  I failed to pay attention to my CWD.  However, I
> am concerned that I had to dig out my reference book for the correct
> syntax.  It should have been in the manpage.
>
> C Peter Biessener wrote:
> > Hello All, I want to do a simple find command to find all files older than X days.
> > # find . -type f -mtime +14 -print
> > Normally, I would expect the command above to find files modified more than 14 days ago.  The syntax is straight out of "UNIX in a Nutshell" by O'Reilly & Associates.  However, it does not work in FreeBSD.
> > I did look at the manpage for find on our FreeBSD 4.1.  The -mtime +n syntax is not documented.  How could such an essential feature not be implemented in FreeBSD?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Peter Biessener

The manpage (`man 1 find`) for 4.6's find has the mtime flag documented:
     -mtime n
             True if the difference between the file last modification time
             and the time find was started, rounded up to the next full
             24-hour period, is n 24-hour periods.

FreeBSD 4.6                       May 3, 2001                      FreeBSD 4.6
# man -w find
/usr/share/man/cat1/find.1.gz (source: /usr/share/man/man1/find.1.gz)

You can always read manpages online as well at www.freebsd.org

HOWEVER, this does remind me of my usual frustration with manpages not
being more descriptive, for example, about the author, date, version, etc.

--
Peter Leftwich
President & Founder