Date:      Mon, 16 Oct 2000 13:27:26 -0500
From:      Jeremy Vandenhouten <jeremy.vandenhouten@marquette.edu>
To:        Jamie Bowden <ragnar@sysabend.org>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: K7V problem? <- Make sure DIMM is in slot 1

> Yes, the boot floppies hang as well, though not hard like the CD.
> I don't
> have a spare floppy laying around, but I may try faking it by
> telling the
> bios I have one installed, forcing it to a:, and turning boot
> cdrom back
> on in the scsi controller (adaptec 2940 uw, sets the cdrom to a: when
> bootable disk is in the drive).

Interesting, I've been able to do it off a 2940UW with a Plextor
Ultraplex as the boot drive, booting right off the cd to setup.

This just got me to thinking... Do you have any external devices? If
so, disconnect those and try loading. Also what type of termination are
you using on your chains?

Also I would try fooling around a little in the bios of your adaptec
card, or perhaps flashing it to the latest ROM version.

> Even if I manage to get freebsd on this machine, and my hopes are
> dimming,I'm still not sure I'll be able to run X.  Anyone know if
> X supports the
> GeForce2 GTS for just 2d accelleration?  I'm not about to run
> linux for a
> video card.  I started life on the command line, and while it's
> not the
> preferred method, I can go back.

Someone on here posted that XFree86 4 supported a Hercules Prophet GTS
which is a Geforce 2. Since they both have the same nVidia chipset at
heart, you should be able to.

Hope that helps or tricking it with the floppy drive does...